Compiled for M+AD by Colmar Brunton client executive Mark Evans: An American ad has invaded the latest Top 10 – Samsung S8 Ostrich debuted last month at #2, but has gone straight to No 1 in the latest survey.
“The song makes it,” said one observer, echoing those who say they were pulled in by Elton John’s Rocket Man (not to mention the comedy act put on by the ostrich flock).
And, inevitably, Mitre 10 Sandpit is still a key part of the top 10 – as it has been for every month for the past seven years (yes – seven!).
The only debut this month is another offshore ad (Skoda Karaoke out of Czech Republic).
Top 10 Ads in June 2017
1. Samsung S8 Ostrich, Leo Burnett USA, Starcom NZ
2. Mitre 10 Sandpit, DraftFCB, Exposure (Kevin Denholm)
3. Toyota The Real Road Experts, Saatchi & Saatchi, Flux
4. Skoda Kodiaq Karaoke, Proximity Czech Republic (Bistro Films (Rogier Hesp)
5. Hyundai Tucson Getting Lost, Shine, Curious (Robin Walters)
6. Pak’nSave Stickman, FCB, Waxeye
7. Specsavers Wedding, produced in-house in Sweden (director Mats Stenberg). NZ PR from Mango
8. Nova Greg Grover, Assignment Group*, Curious Film (Ric Cantor)
9. Toyota Believe: Billy & Grandad, Saatchi & Saatchi, Exposure (Kevin Denholm)
10. AA Insurance Puppies, DDB, Scoundrel (James Dive)
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
1. Samsung Ostrich
- “Really good example of the technology and its capabilities.”
- “Our family loves it and the way they say they make impossible possible.”
- “The song makes it and I also think that it’s creative and simple.”
- “It’s good because it has catchy music, is relatable (you can do anything you put your mind too) and a little humorous too.”
- “Just love it. Novel idea, appeals to a wide range of viewers.”
- “Fun and unique with a great message!”
2. Mitre 10 Sandpit
- “So funny!”
- “Down to earth and comical.”
- “It has been round for years and still Makes me laugh.”
- “I really like the performance of the children and the way they relate to each other.”
3. Toyota The Real Road Experts
- “A bit of light humoUr in a very busy life.”
- “The dry wit and humour still bring a smile.”
- “They are so lovely together and make me grin when I see it.”
- “Reminds me of the Topp Twins and they are great.”
- “Extremely funny in a sadistic sought of way.”
- “Quite clever.”
HOW THIS CHART WAS PRODUCED
The TV Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (www.colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD. Any reader may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD/Colmar Brunton credit.
Colmar Brunton completed 1000 interviews online over a period of one week – from Wednesday 7 June to Wednesday 14 June for this report. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys points. The interviewees were all aged 18+ and the margin of error is +/- 2.6%.
To view all the M+AD/Colmar Brunton Top 10 charts for the past 12 months, click the Top10 button in the menu on the home page at www.mad-daily.com.