Compiled for M+AD by Colmar Brunton client executive Mark Evans: Samsung Ostrich has broken through the Greg Grover/Nova barrier and is cementing its spot at the top of the monthly Colmar Brunton Top 10 charts.
It first made No 1 last month, after a stunning debut at #2 in May.
The song (Elton John’s Rocket Man) is what makes the ad special for most viewers – that and the comedy routine with a miracle ending.
Also make a powerful debut at #2 is Sealord Swim Like a Fish, which features a winning combination of a public safety message and a touch of gentle humour.
And we ran out of new superlatives to describe Mitre 10’s Sandpit – one of the very few ads that people never get tired of seeing. It’s never out of the Top 3.
But we simply don’t know what to say about the latest awful MasterCard ad which, although it features Richie McCaw, simply falls flat. It was created and written in Australia – and proves yet again that the Aussie just don’t get us Kiwis!
We’re putting its debut this month at #7 down to the pulling power of everybody’s favourite AB.
Finally, we salute Clemenger/Finch’s NZTA brilliant Local Legends, which repays its makers by keeping on keeping on.
Top 10 Ads in July 2017
1. Samsung S8 Ostrich, Leo Burnett USA, Starcom NZ
2. Sealord Be like a fish, Ogilvy, Waitemata Films (Rob Sarkies)
3. Mitre 10 Sandpit, DraftFCB, Exposure (Kevin Denholm)
4. Toyota The Real Road Experts, Saatchi & Saatchi, Flux
5. Pak’nSave Stickman, FCB, Waxeye
6. Nova Greg Grover, Assignment Group, Curious Film (Ric Cantor)
7. Mastercard Tap for Your Town, Ogilvy Australia, Waitemata Films
8. NZTA Local Legends, Clemenger BBDO Wellington, Finch (Patrick Hughes)
9. Spark Magic Happens Every Day Colenso, Thick As Thieves
10. Energy Online No Regerts, Contagion, The Sweet Shop (Damien Shatford)
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
1. Samsung Ostrich
- “I like the music and how it draws on my imagination and mystique of virtual reality.”
- “Funny, innovative, something different, not in your face.”
- “The ad is innovative, creative, funny, engaging with excellent CGI.”
- “I think the flying emu is incredibly clever + creative.”
- “Very funny add and imaginative.”
- “It’s very clever and engaging and funny and heart-warming.”
2. Sealord Be Like a Fish
- “It is very family orientated.”
- “It is very sweet and has touch of humour.”
- “I like it because even though it’s trying to sell fish products, it also has a good message about the importance of swimming and learning to swim no matter what your age is.”
- “A very clever ad that shows very little of the sponsor logo but a lot of NZ culture – and a very important message.”
- “I’ve just found it interesting that they’re going for that emotional aspect which is not really something I would associate with Sealord, so they’ve done well to make a memorable ad. Initially I thought the ad was about learning to swim.
3. Mitre 10 Sandpit
- “Is the best advert I’ve seen watch it over and over never tired of it.”
- “Love the humour.”
- “It is very clever & the little boys do a great job in it.”
- “An oldie but a goody. I like the humour and the kids are cute.”
- “Funny and clever.”
- “It’s funny and memorable.”
HOW THIS CHART WAS PRODUCED
The TV Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (www.colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD. Readers may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD/Colmar Brunton credit.
Colmar Brunton completed 1000 interviews online over a period of one week – from Thursday 5 July to Thursday 12 July for this report. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys points. The interviewees were all aged 18+ and the margin of error is +/- 2.6%.
To view all the M+AD/Colmar Brunton Top 10 charts for the past 12 months, click the Top10 button in the menu on the home page at www.mad-daily.com.