As Christmas draws near, seasonal advertising steams in at the top of the order for the favourite ads of the November month, whilst old New Zealand classics make up the middle order.
“Some would say it’s too early for Christmas but the numbers do not lie,” says Colmar Brunton client executive Andy Strain.
At the top spot sits Farmers Secret Santa. Demonstrating Dickins-like storytelling, a scrooge like old man takes on the role as a giving Santa who hands out Farmers products to his neighbours in need.
New World’s Are you Santa? follows in second place showing what he really does in the other 11 months of the year (working in a New Zealand supermarket, apparently).
“The over-exaggerated backlash of his identity coming out mixed with Kiwi humour is one for everyone to enjoy,” Strain says. “Well, maybe not the kids!”
The middle favourites consist of old favourites Mitre 10 Sandpit, Toyota The Real Road Experts and Pak’n Save’s Stickman series.
New arrivals in November included Rainbow Youth’s public service announcement: “If it’s not gay, it’s not gay” and AMI’s funky yet safe Rollergirl.
Top 10 Ads in November 2017
1. Farmers Secret Santa, FCB, The Sweet Shop (Andrew Lang)
2. New World Santa, 99/Colenso BBDO, Fish (Gregor Nicholas)
3. Mitre 10 Sandpit, DraftFCB, Exposure (Kevin Denholm)
4. Pak’n Save Stickman, FCB, Waxeye
5. Rainbow Youth If It’s Not Gay, Y&R, Eight (Jamie Lawrence)
6. Toyota The Real Road Experts, Saatchi & Saatchi, Flux (Laban Dickinson)
7. Oceania Healthcare Magic Moments, Rainger & Rolfe, Film Construction (Perry Bradley)
8. Air New Zealand Fantastical Journey safety video, True, Assembly (Damon Duncan, Jonny Kofoed)
9. AMI Rollergirl, Colenso BBDO, The Sweet Shop (Campbell Hooper)
10. Specsavers, produced in-house in Sweden (director Mats Stenberg). NZ PR from Mango
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
1. Farmers Secret Santa
- “Tugs on the heartstrings and is nice to see adverts going away from using only kids now.”
- “I love this ad because it tells a heart-warming story showing the difficulties of parenting.”
- “It is a lovely idea of giving – always makes me smile.”
- “I love the sentiment.”
2. New World Santa
- “I like the idea that Santa is seen in a supermarket.”
- “My favourite part is the news reporter they use out the front of the supermarket, he basically narrates.”
- “It is quite amusing.”
- “It is different and funny. I wanted to watch it to the end to see what was going to happen to Santa. It also surprised me at the end!”
- “Different, funny and unexpected.”
3. Mitre 10 Sandpit
- “It’s funny but gets the point across.”
HOW THIS CHART WAS PRODUCED
The TV Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (www.colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD. Readers may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD/Colmar Brunton credit.
Colmar Brunton completed 1000 interviews online over a period of one week (from Wednesday 22 November – Wednesday 29 November) for this report. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys points. The interviewees were all aged 18+ and the margin of error is +/- 2.6%.
To view all the M+AD/Colmar Brunton Top 10 charts for the past 12 months, click the Top10 button in the menu on the home page at www.mad-daily.com