Vodafone Piggy Sue is back to the top of our May chart – just one year since she first made No 1. Next up this month is Novas Great Value Energy. “This is funny and people can relate to the chaos and ordeal the salesman is going through,” says our Top 10 compiler, Colmar Brunton’s Katrin Schulze.
“Tower Insurance Indestructables is slowly but surely establishing itself in the top three,” says Schulze (Right again, Katrin!).
“People can’t get enough of those cute kids telling what they would do if a penguin would steal their bike.”
Also back this month are two NZTA films – like the entire series, a brilliant piece of work. And appearing for the first time, the Mytax campaign out of Christchurch.
Top 10 Ads in May 2016
1. Vodafone Piggy Sue, FCB, Revolver (Steve Rogers)
2. Nova Greg Grover, Clemenger BBDO, Curious Film (Ric Cantor)
3. Tower Insurance Indestructables, Barnes Catmur & Friends, Finch (Alyssa McClellan)
4. Toyota The Real Road Experts, Saatchi & Saatchi, Flux (Laban Dickinson)
5. Lotto Imagine, DDB, The Sweet Shop (Steve Ayson)
6. Pak’nSave Stickman series, FCB
7. Hyundai Tucson Get Lost, Shine, Curious (Robin Walters)
8. Mytax Money on Your Mind, Plato Creative Christchurch, Ruffell Productions Christchurch (Tim McInnes)
9. NZTA Thoughts, Clemenger BBDO, Ruskin (Nathan Price)
10. NZTA When You’re Not There, Clemenger BBDO, Curious
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
1. Vodafone Piggy Sue
- Taking care and going the extra mile.
- I like it because I love pigs and it warms my heart.
- It’s adorable and heart-warming.
- It’s catchy, very much a Kiwi story with a happy ending.
- It’s cute and tugs at the heartstrings.
- Like it because it’s cute and has an animal in it; nice portrayal of a relationship.
- It would appeal to all ages of New Zealanders.
- I love the interaction between the man and the piglet. The man has lovely eyes and when he looks stand feed the piglet it is with affection. Ads with animals and children often have the aaah factor and this ad had that.
- It is creative and entertaining.
2. Nova Great Value Energy
- I like the casual humour and always gets my attention.
- Rather cute and well acted.
- Makes me smile as I can imagine that happening.
- Quite funny when the guy is misheard
- Because it makes me laugh
- It’s quite a funny scenario.
- Really quite humorous
- The actors look and act like genuine people.
- Fun and humour, well executed acting.
- It’s funny, quick and pleasant to watch.
- It’s witty and clever.
- All actors are so good and always make us laugh.
- It makes me smile
3. Tower Insurance Indestructables
- Very cute children and idea.
- Very cute, funny and sends a strong message.
- Just love the children’s comments.
- It’s funny and it makes sense because adults think differently to the kids
- The kids are so natural and very good at talking and it is cute.
- Because it’s fun.
- The children’s reactions make it my favourite and how they run after the penguin at the end.
- The kids are naturally funny and naïve.
- Love their answers and how simple they think everything is.
Colmar Brunton completed 1000 interviews online from Wednesday 27 April to Wednesday 4 May for this report. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys points. The interviewees were all aged 18+; the margin of error is +/- 2.6%.
The TVC Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (www.colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD. Anybody may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD credit.
To see M+AD’s full back catalogue of Top 10 charts, go to the home page of this site, click on Top10 in the menu.