PARIS, Today: This year’s Cannes Lions has been postponed to October, as France attempts to stem the flow of the coronavirus infection.
Cases have topped 200,000 people worldwide. The virus has killed 148 people in France and infected more than 6000.
The Lions officials issued this statement: “With the coronavirus outbreak continuing to spread around the globe, Cannes Lions has decided to no longer hold the International Festival of Creativity this June in the south of France.
“Cannes Lions is moving the event to October as part of its previously announced contingency plans.
“The decision to postpone the festival follows much deliberation with our partners and customers, as well as, consultation with public health officials, the mayoral office of Cannes and the French authorities.”
“All entries will still be judged and awarded in 2020, regardless of the festival’s timing.”
On Tuesday, France put a strict 15-day lockdown in place, requiring citizens to not leave their homes in an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19.
“We acknowledge the challenging circumstances facing us all as a community – we have and continue to be in deep consultation with many of our customers and partners as we adopt our contingency plans,” the Lions statement said.
“The health, safety and wellbeing of our customers, employees, sponsors and partners remains our first priority.”
Last week, the Lions announced that all entries will still be judged and awarded in 2020, regardless of the festival’s timing.
On Monday, Ascential, the parent company behind Cannes Lions, told its staff to work from home.
Share this Post