Mitre 10 is back at the No 1 spot for July – but this time it’s not their famous Sandpit. “The new TVC Roy – Kong’s Out Again uses humour and demonstrates good ol’ Kiwi ingenuity to tackle any problem, no matter how ridiculous,” reckons Colmar Brunton ceo Andy Strain.
Lotto’s Armoured Truck and Toyota’s The Real Road Experts continue as audience favourites (although Ed is still shaking his head in wonder at a nation so in love with a ghastly, ugly pest that craps all over the deck!).
Happily, Saatchi & Saatchi returns this month with their Toyota ad at #10. All other ads in the list have seen the Top 10 before, except for 5th (Skinny’s Famous Names).
Top 10 Ads in July 2018
1. Mitre 10 Roy – Kong’s Out Again, FCB, Mark Albiston (with Sweetshop)
2. Lotto Imagine-Armoured Truck, DDB, Scoundrel (Tim Bullock)
3. Toyota The Real Road Experts, Saatchi & Saatchi, Flux (Laban Dickinson)
4. Pak’n Save Stickman, FCB
5. Skinny Famous Names, Colenso BBDO, Sweetshop (Damien Shatford)
6. Spark Father’s Day, Finch (Christopher Riggert)
7. Specsavers Series, produced in-house in Sweden (director Mats Stenberg). NZ PR from Mango
8. Speights The Dance, DDB, The Sweet Shop (Steve Ayson)
9. Nova Greg Grover, Assignment Group, Curious Film (Ric Cantor)
10. Toyota Drive Happy Project, Saatchi & Saatchi
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
1. Mitre 10 Kong’s Out Again
- “It is funny, has a story line, real kiwi ingenuity and a happy ending.”
- “I find the ad very amusing.”
- “It’s really funny, uses great comedy and is fun. It’s also sweet.”
2. Lotto Armoured Truck
- “I love that the ad is a story of two different guys – different ethnicities that become great friends and good work mates and then winners together.”
- “Good ad that is clever without being soppy.”
3. Toyota The Real Road Experts
- “I like these ads because the jokes suit my sense of humour.”
- “Always makes me laugh.”
- “Cry with laughter every time I see it.”
HOW THIS CHART WAS PRODUCED
The TV Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (www.colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD Daily. Readers may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD/Colmar Brunton credit.
Colmar Brunton completed 1000 interviews online over a period of one week (from Wednesday 4 July to Wednesday 11 July) for this report. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys points. The interviewees were all aged 18+ and the margin of error is +/- 2.6%.
To view all the M+AD/Colmar Brunton Top 10 charts for the past 12 months, click the Top10 button on the top, right of the home page at www.mad-daily.com.