A rousing performance across all categories saw Whybin TBWA/DAN’s Dooya take out the main prize at last night’s Flying Fish/CAANZ Battle of the Ad Bands, held – as always – at the Kings Arms in Newton.
Colenso’s Pegasus and The Job Numbers won Best Original Song, and Flying Fish’s Building 7 won Best Wildcard for their interpretation of the Beatles’ My Guitar Gently Weeps.
Dooya’s win brought them a swag of prizes, including their own Much More ice-cream flavour and new Citroen DS3 for a month (scroll down to see the full list).
The sold-out crowd of 550 got yet another treat to remember. It never ceases to amaze that such a small industry can produce so many part-time musicians of near-professional calibre. But then, given the intensely creative nature of the business, it’s no suprise, really!
The auction for the Justin Timberlake VIP six-pack raised $3250 for the NZ Music Foundation (scroll down for the details).
The photos from last night are still coming in – look for them in M+AD’s Monday edition. Plus, hopefully, some video from Fish.
Overall – Dooya from WhybinTBWA/DAN. They get …
- To drive a Black Citroen DS3 with a white roof for a month
- A production run of their very own ice cream flavour from Much Moore Ice Cream
- To record their original song by Liquid Studios
- A music video produced by Flying Fish
- A day’s online production at MandyFX
- $500 lunch at Prego
Best Original Song – Colenso’s Pegasus and The Job Numbers
Best Wildcard interpretation of this year’s theme (The Beatles) – Flying Fish’s Building 7 (My Guitar Gently Weeps)
AGENCIES/ BANDS IN RUNNING ORDER:
Colenso BBDO: Pegasus and The Job Numbers
DDB: The Gypsy Thieves
Ogilvy & Mather: The OG Villains
Sugar & Partners + String Theory: The Expendables
FCB: Foote Cone
Whybin TBWA\DAN: Dooya
Flying Fish: Building 7
OMD: The Chased from OMD
MC: Alex Behan (Radio Hauraki)
Judges: Jacquie Brown, Murray Grindley, Otis Frizell
- Justin Timberlake VIP Package for 6. This includes:
- Two hour pre-show hosting in shared VIP suite
- Platinum concert seats
- 2 hour Diamond beverage package
- Chefs VIP themed gourmet menu
- Souvenir VIP lanyard
- Official show merchandise
- Red carpet entry to your VIP suite
- Dedicated event hosts
2013 – Barnes, Catmur & Friends
2012 – Barnes, Catmur & Friends
2011 – Whybin\TBWA
Share this Post