AUCKLAND, last night: The NZ Automobile Association and AA Insurance have taken out the Supreme Award at this year’s TVNZ-NZ Marketing Awards for their AA Home Response marketing initiative. The two also won the Consumer Products & Services, Best Brand Extension/Innovation and Best Collaboration award categories.
Subaru & Barnes Catmur & Friends Dentsu was the only ad agency to feature – predictably taking out the Long-Term Agency Partnership category.
In front of a record crowd at Cordis in Auckland, awards hosts Ben Fahy from NZ Marketing Magazine/StopPress and Tony Mitchell from the Marketing Association, plus MC Te Radar celebrated “the coming together of strategic brilliance, creative excellence and impressive commercial results”.
Twelve of the most recognised brands in New Zealand were contenders for the Supreme Award after being judged the best in their sector.
“This year the judges had an extremely difficult task coming to a decision on the ultimate winner,” said new convenor of judges Michael Friedberg.
The Supreme judges said: “AA’s award entry demonstrated a high level of strategic marketing nous. There was a clear line of sight on the business problem at hand that, if left unresolved, had the potential to be a showstopper in the future.
“The team demonstrated excellence in end-to-end execution of the marketing value chain – where the customer is very much at the heart. It was a complex project that disrupted BAU thinking. Marketing has clearly led this to drive impact, extending the AA’s trusted brand position into a new category – tapping into existing customers and recruiting new blood. Solid foundations have been set.”
“Kevin Bowler was inducted into the TVNZ Marketing Hall of Fame – cheered on by an inspirational video from TVNZ’s Blacksand.”
Also enjoying wins were Air NZ, Auckland Council, BP Oil, Earthwise Group, Fly Buys, FMG, Genesis, Harrison Grierson, Health Promotion Agency, J H Whittaker & Sons, Movember Foundation, NZ King Salmon, NZ Racing Board (the TAB), NZME, NZSki, Samsung Electronics NZ, Subaru NZ, T&G Global, The Warehouse, Trustpower and TSB Bank.
The Rookie Marketer and Marketer of the Year awards went to Rebecca Barnett from Loyalty NZ and Simon Jarvis from the NZ Racing Board respectively.
Their announcements followed the induction of Kevin Bowler into the TVNZ Marketing Hall of Fame. TVNZ’s Blacksand created an inspirational video including speeches from Sir John Key, past inductee Theresa Gattung and fellow colleagues.
TVNZ ceo Kevin Kenrick presented Bowler with his accolade and said: “Kevin is a business person with some great marketing skills, he is someone who understands the commercial side and creative side and brings it all together to make some magic.”
The organisers of the awards acknowledge the support of premier sponsor TVNZ, principal sponsors Adshel and Energi and category sponsors Bauer Media Group, BrandWorld, GrownUps, Mailshop, Nielsen, Skykiwi, TRA and TRB.
- Supreme Award sponsored by TVNZ: New Zealand Automobile Association and AA Insurance, AA Home Response
- Marketing Hall of Fame sponsored by TVNZ: Kevin Bowler
- Marketer of the Year sponsored by Energi: Simon Jarvis, NZ Racing Board (TAB)
- Rookie Marketer of the Year: Rebecca Barnett, Loyalty NZ
- B2B: Fly Buys, Fly Buys Crew Education and Advocacy
- Consumer Products & Services sponsored by Skykiwi: AA and AA Insurance, AA Home Response
- Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) sponsored by BrandWorld: NZ King Salmon, Regal Manuka Smoked Salmon
- Financial & Banking: FMG, FMG Advice Worth Listening To
- Healthcare/Beauty sponsored by Bauer Media: Health Promotion Agency, Oral Health Campaign – Baby Teeth Matter
- Media/Publishing sponsored by Nielsen: NZME, Discover More – The Relaunch of nzherald.co.nz Consumer Campaign Not-for-Profit sponsored by Mailshop: Movember Foundation
- Auckland Council, Safeswim
- Retail sponsored by TRB: The Warehouse, The Warehouse – Delivering Better Value Everyday
- Technology sponsored by Adshel: Samsung Electronics NZ, Samsung Data Drive
- Travel/Leisure sponsored by GrownUps: Air NZ Project Blackout / Air NZ
- Utilities/Communications: Genesis, Genesis: The Start of Something New
- Best Brand Extension/Innovation: AA and AA Insurance, AA Home Response
- Best Brand Transformation: TSB Bank, TSB Brand Relaunch
- Best Collaboration: AA and AA Insurance, AA Home Response
- Best Emerging Business/New Brand: Earthwise Group, Glow Lab Natural Skincare
- Best In-House Marketing sponsored by ICG: NZSki, Early Bird Campaign
- Best Internal Marketing Strategy sponsored by ICG: Harrison Grierson, Harrison Grierson HG+ME
- Best Marketing Communications Strategy: J H Whittaker & Sons, Nigella! I Was Just Passing….
- Best Marketing on a Shoestring Budget: T&G Global, T&G Global Hot Potato
- Best Purpose-driven Strategy: BP Oil New Zealand, BP and Surf Life Saving NZ: In it for Life. Together.
- Best Use of Customer Insight/Data sponsored by TRA: NZ Racing Board (TAB), TAB Training
- Best Use of Sponsorship: Health Promotion Agency, Smokefreerockquest 2017
- Long-Term Agency Partnership: Subaru and Barnes, Catmur & Friends Dentsu
- Long-Term Marketing Excellence: Trustpower, Trustpower Multi-Product Bundling
About ICG Media
ICG Media crafts editorial products for audiences that gather around areas of interest. Brands include NZ Marketing/StopPress, Idealog, NZ Retail/The Register, Dish, Good, Habitat by Resene and New Zealand Weddings.
With a team made up of specialist editors, writers, videographers, designers and developers who work across print, digital, social and events, Tangible Media believes it creates some of New Zealand’s best multi-media products, but it is also a market leader in the field of content marketing and owned media and regularly deploys this editorial expertise on behalf of companies and brands.
ICG Media is part of ICG. Vertically integrated and multi-channel, its capability runs across content creation, publishing, digital media, print, video production, car wraps, wall decals, event activation and digital signage.
ICG is New Zealand owned, and operates on a single site in Mt Albert.
About the Marketing Association
The Marketing Association is the only New Zealand industry body dedicated to marketing with a defined purpose to inspire business success through a connected marketing community. As a membership body, the Marketing Association’s role is to help our 7,000+ members develop, connect and have a voice.
The Marketing Association works tirelessly to have marketing seen as a success driver for organisations of all shapes and sizes. MA members are facing complexity and pace in their operating environments and the MA partners with them throughout their marketing career to help them keep ahead.
The Marketing Association is supported by our principal business partners: Qrious/Ubiquity and Loyalty New Zealand.
Share this Post