The very clever new MasterCard ad in the Tim series has gone straight to No 1 this month after just a few weeks on air.
A similar story for Toyota’s Weather Sweet campaign – three weeks on air, and straight to No 2.
Also of note this month are the departures (for now) of two of NZ’s longest-charting ads – FCB’s Mitre 10 Sandpit and Clemenger’s Ghost Chips.
And charting for the first time this month are the new spot for Vodafone (starring Jordan Luck), VW, and Spark.
- MasterCard Surprise, McCann Sydney, Robber’s Dog NZ (Adam Stevens)
- Toyota Hilux Weather Sweet, Saatchi & Saatchi, Georgeous Films (Corey Chalmers)
- Pak ‘n Save Stickman Series, FCB, Waxeye (Paul James/Paul Carter)
- Purina Tux Herding Cats, Assignment Group, Robber’s Dog (Adam Stevens)
- Spark Never Stop Starting Saatchi & Saatchi, Goodoil (Michael Spiccia)
- Vodafone Fantastic Fridays, FCB. Sunday Punch (Ryan Hutchings/Nigel McCulloch/Jarrod Holt)
- Telecom Giganaire, Saatchi & Saatchi, Curious (director Robin Walters)
- NZI Devil’s Chair, FCB, Assembly (dir Damon Duncan)
- Volkswagen The People’s Film, Colenso BBDO, Finch
- ANZ Time is Money, Whybin\TBWA, Robber’s Dog.
In their own words
1. Mastercard Surprise
“It always makes me laugh, it’s short and to the point, and it’s obvious what it’s advertising”
“Like the rest in the series, this is very funny”
“I don’t really know why – but it amuses me. I like the bemused look on Richie’s face, and also We’re Walking. Cracks me up every time”
“Tim is a dork – but so funny”
“I like this because it epitomises the relationship between sporting heroes and fans”
2. Hilux Sweet
“Toyota ads always have great humour – and putting it next to the ONE News weather is very clever”
“This ad makes me laugh – and it ties in well with their original campaign”
“I like its gawkish, comic take on what is normally serious viewing”
“Good, Kiwi-style humour. Like Barry Crump”
3. Pak’n’Save Stickmen
“All of the Pak’n’Save ads are witty, clever and worth watching”
“I love the fact that such simple stick figures coupled with zany humour are all that’s needed to reach their market – they really stand out from the Countdown and New World ads”
“Stickman is amusing – and he doesn’t shout at us”
4. Purina Tux Herding Cats
7. Telecom Giganaire
8. NZI Devil’s Chair
The TVC Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD (however, anybody may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD credit).
Colmar Brunton polled 1000 New Zealanders (aged 18+) online between 11-18 August for this latest Top 10. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys reward points, and the poll has a margin of error of +/- 2.6%.
Share this Post