AUCKLAND, Wednesday: The best editors, cinematographers, composers, post-production technicians and designers were among those honoured tonight at the 2019 New Zealand Television Craft Awards, hosted by Screen Auckland.
Thirteen categories were presented by Newshub entertainment editor Kate Rodger at the ceremony held at GridAKL, with TVNZ 1 drama The Bad Seed winning the award for Best Script Drama and TVNZ OnDemand comedy The Adventures of Suzy Boon being named Huawei Mate30 Pro Best Script: Comedy.
Three’s broadcast of You Are Us / Aroha Nui, the concert which raised funds to help those affected by the Christchurch terror attacks, was awarded Best Director: Multi Camera.
Other big winners on the night were TVNZ OnDemand factual series The Unortho docs and TVNZ 2 comedy Fresh Eggs which each took home three awards. The Unortho docs won Best Editing: Documentary/Factual, Huawei Mate30 Pro Best Camerawork: Documentary/Factual and Best Post Production Design, while Fresh Eggs was named Best Cinematography: Drama, Screen Auckland Best Art Direction or Production Design and Revlon Best Makeup Design.
Stories of real-life New Zealanders were also among the winners, including two local Sunday night telefeatures: In Dark Places which was awarded Best Contribution to a Soundtrack; and Mistress, Mercy: The Renee Chignell Story which won Best Editing: Drama. Give Kate a Voice – an interactive video which celebrates New Zealand’s most famous suffragist, Kate Sheppard – won Best Costume Design.
Kiwi musician Don McGlashan won Best Original Score for his work on TVNZ Heihei’s animated children’s series Kiri and Lou.
The remaining 26 award winners will be announced at the Aotea Centre on Thursday 21 November at the Huawei Mate30 Pro New Zealand Television Awards gala ceremony.
- Best Editing: Documentary/Factual: Johnny Agnew, The Unortho docs, Two Heads (TVNZ OnDemand)
- Best Editing: Drama: Raewyn Humphries, Mistress, Mercy: The Renee Chignell Story, Gibson Group (TVNZ 1)
- Huawei Mate30 Pro Best Camerawork: Documentary/Factual: Johnny Agnew, The Unortho docs, Two Heads (TVNZ OnDemand)
- Best Director: Multi Camera: Mitchell Hawkes, You Are Us / Aroha Nui, MediaWorks (Three)
- Best Cinematography: Drama: DJ Stipsen, Fresh Eggs, Warner Bros NZ (TVNZ 2)
- Best Contribution to a Soundtrack: Chris Sinclair, Steve Finnigan, Ben Sinclair, In Dark Places, Images & Sound for South Pacific Pictures and 10000 Company (TVNZ 1)
- Images & Sound Best Original Score: Don McGlashan, Kiri and Lou, (TVNZ Heihei)
- Best Post Production Design: Mikee Carpinter, The Unortho docs, Two Heads (TVNZ OnDemand)
- Screen Auckland Best Art Direction or Production Design: George Hamilton, Fresh Eggs, Warner Bros NZ (TVNZ 2)
- Best Costume Design: Sarah Voon, Give Kate a Voice, Vendetta Productions (noted.co.nz)
- Revlon Best Makeup Design: Stefan Knight, Fresh Eggs, Warner Bros NZ (TVNZ 2)
- Huawei Mate30 Pro Best Script: Comedy: Louis Mendiola, The Adventures of Suzy Boon, R&R (TVNZ OnDemand)
- Best Script: Drama: Sarah-Kate Lynch, Michael Beran, Joss King, The Bad Seed, South Pacific Pictures and Jump Film & TV (TVNZ 1)
Share this Post