July’s No 1, Mitre 10’s hugely likeable donkey spot Roy, this month has picked up its second championship title, reports Colmar Brunton client executive Andy Strain. KFC is the only new entry in September, debuting in 2nd with their humorous airport escalator ad.
The rest of the Top 10 sees Toyota, Lotto, Lynx, Pak’n Save and Specsavers retaining their placings – and Nova, Spark and KiwiRail re-entering the list.
Top 10 Ads in September 2018
1. Mitre 10 Roy – Kong’s Out Again, FCB NZ, Mark Albiston (Sweetshop)
2. KFC Airport, Ogilvy (film credits not available)
3. Nova Greg Grover, Assignment, Curious (Ric Cantor)
4. Lotto Armoured Truck, DDB, Scoundrel (Tim Bullock)
5. Specsavers Royal Wedding, produced in-house in Sweden. NZ PR from Mango
6. Toyota The Real Road Experts, Saatchi & Saatchi, Flux (Laban Dickinson)
7. Lynx Confidence, Emotive Australia (creative & production)
8. Spark Fathers Day, Colenso BBDO, Finch (Christopher Riggert)
9. Pak’n Save Stickman Auditions, FCB
10. KiwiRail Scenic Journeys, Clemenger BBDO/Touchcast
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
1. Mitre 10: Roy – Kong’s Out Again
- “I like this ad which has a good storyline and makes us think what it is until the end.”
- “Clever, new & memorable. It tells a story and encapsulates humour.”
- “It’s humorous, and I like the fact they named the donkey ‘Kong’.”
- “It is funny and it relates to previous situations I have encountered.”
2. KFC Airport
- “This is my current favourite as it is quite funny and has nothing to do with eating chicken.”
- “It is just a laugh and a fun ad which I like about it.”
- “It is very entertaining and funny. Good music too.”
- “Funny, acrobatic and different.”
- “I like this ad because it is catchy and memorable.”
3. Nova Greg Grover
- “Funny ad. Uses quite a lot of play on words to get their advert across.”
- “I like the ad because of the clever play on words and names delivered at such a rapid tempo.”
- “Funny and memorable.”
- “It’s very clever with the play on words.”
HOW THIS CHART WAS PRODUCED
The TV Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (www.colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD Daily. Readers may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD/Colmar Brunton credit.
Colmar Brunton completed 1000 interviews online over a period of one week (from Wednesday 29 August to Wednesday 5 September) for this report. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys points. The interviewees were all aged 18+ and the margin of error is +/- 2.6%.
To view all the M+AD/Colmar Brunton Top 10 charts for the past 12 months, click the Top10 button on the top of the home page at www.mad-daily.com.