Nine out of 10 listings (including the top four) in this month’s M+AD/Colmar Brunton Top 10 commercials are old favourites – with return visits from Vodafone, Mitre 10, Pak’n’Save, Lotto (x2), ANZ, Specsavers, Toyota, and Pam’s.
Vodafone’s Piggy Sue takes #1 this month, with its heart-warming story resonating with audiences. Mitre 10’s Sandpit remains at #2, with Pak’n’Save’s Stickman taking the third spot.
Top 10 Ads in April 2017
1. Vodafone Piggy Sue, FCB, Revolver (Steve Rogers)
2. Mitre 10 Sandpit, FCB, Exposure (Kevin Denholm)
3. Pak’nSave Stickman, FCB, Waxeye
4. Toyota The Real Road Experts, Saatchi & Saatchi, Flux
5. ANZ What’s your pool doing later on, FCB
6. Lotto Dylan, DDB, The Sweet Shop (Mark Albiston)
7. Specsavers Postman Pat, MediaCom (shot offshore – producer not known)
8. McDonald’s Stuck in the Middle, DDB, Blockhead (Tim Bullock)
9. Toyota Believe, Saatchi & Saatchi, Exposure (Kevin Denholm)
10. Lotto Imagine, DDB, The Sweet Shop (Steve Ayson)
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
1. Vodafone Piggy Sue
- “I’m an animal lover and love a happy ending”
- “It is just really cute”
- “It is entertaining”
- “Because l love animals and it has a good story”
- “Quite funny and enjoyable”
- “It’s cute and heart-warming”
2. Mitre 10 Sandpit
- “Sooooo cute”
- “Because of its originality and humour”
- “Totally convincing, apparently unacted, funny and pokes the borax gently”
- “I don’t watch TV, but my favourite ad of all time is the Mitre 10 one, with the young boys in the sandpit”
3. Pak n Save Stickman
- “They are clever”
- “They make me laugh, simple & innocent fun”
- “Funny and you always wonder what the next joke will be”
- “The messages are clear and usually accompanied by an element of humour”
- “They’re simple, they resonate with a NZ sense of identity by making reference to NZ cultural icons & they appeal to my sense of humour
HOW THIS CHART WAS PRODUCED
The TV Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (www.colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD. Any reader may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD/Colmar Brunton credit.
Colmar Brunton completed 1000 interviews online over a period of one week – from Tuesday 11 April to Wednesday 19 April for this report. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys points. The interviewees were all aged 18+ and the margin of error is +/- 2.6%.
To view all the M+AD/Colmar Brunton Top 10 charts for the past 12 months, click the Top10 button in the menu on the home page at www.mad-daily.com.