Two debuts and a refreshed favourite this month brought a new look to the Top 10 in June (till now, it’s been largely unchanged this year).
The new arrivals are My Tax and Cadbury; the refresh sees the strangely endearing superhero Truspower couple take their relationship to the next level.
Gone (thankfully) are AA Life’s Yellow Sheep. It’s had a long run, and was well past its use-by date.
“Tower Insurance is back in people’s minds, now that the cute penguin isn’t only stealing bikes but cars and carpets,” observes Colmar Brunton client executive Katrin Schulze about the latest #1.
“Ditto Trustpower. In the previous campaign, Captain Power and Broadband Girl met, now they moved in together and have two dogs!”
Top 10 Ads in June 2016
(NOTE: two surveys were conducted in June – one started June 2 and this one – the latest – started June 27)
1. Tower Insurance Indestructables, Barnes Catmur & Friends, Finch (Alyssa McClellan).
2. Vodafone Piggy Sue, FCB, Revolver (Steve Rogers)
3. Trustpower Captain Energy, Gunroom Grey Lynn, Robber’s Dog (Chris Dudman)
4. Nova Greg Grover, Clemenger BBDO, Curious Film (Ric Cantor)
5. Toyota The Real Road Experts, Saatchi & Saatchi, Flux (Laban Dickinson)
6. Lotto Imagine, DDB, The Sweet Shop (Steve Ayson)
7. My Tax Money on your Mind, Plato Creative Christchurch, Rob McLaughlin and Whitebait Media
8. Hyundai Tucson Get Lost, Shine, Curious (Robin Walters)
9. Cadbury Coco, Australia: Saatchi & Saatchi Sydney; NZ: Carat/Traffik/Beat PR, Finch (Derin Seale).
10. NZ Transport Agency Thoughts Content Series, Ruskin Films (Nathan Price)
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
1. Tower Insurance Indestructables
- “Very cute with the kids and a catchy ad.”
- “Clear, not loud, to the point.”
- “I love the innocence of the kids and how easy they think to fix a problem – boom, take that penguin!”
- “It is humorous, clever and gets its message across without being over loud or offensive.”
- “I like the humour.”
- “I like the kids, they are very natural, and cute.”
- “I just find it really funny.”
- “Love the kids in it.”
- “It’s creative and simple and makes the point very clearly while still being entertaining.”
2. Vodafone Piggy Sue
- “He is a caring man with morals exactly like mine.”
- “It makes me feel warm, very human aspect to it.”
- “Great humane content.”
- “As I like to sport what part of the country it’s filmed in.”
3. Trustpower Captain Energy
- “It’s just funny. Because of the dogs.”
- “Funny and instantly likeable.”
- “I like it ’cause the dogs are so cute in their outfits.”
- “Very cute!! And the dog looks like our dog.”
Colmar Brunton completed 1000 interviews online from Monday 20 June to Wednesday 22 for this report. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys points. The interviewees were all aged 18+; the margin of error is +/- 2.6%.
The TV Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (www.colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD. Anybody may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD/Colmar Brunton credit.
To see M+AD’s full back catalogue of Top 10 charts, go to the home page of this site, click on Top10 in the menu.