On top this week, once again, is Toyota’s Real Road Experts. “People enjoy the different variations of the ad and that it is always an alternating storyline,” says Colmar Brunton senior client executive Katrin Schulze.
Runner-up is Spark’s heartwarming Magic Happens Every Day Spotify ad. “Kiwis can relate to the storyline and enjoy the happy,” Schulze reckons.
In third place is the mighty Mitre 10 Sandspit – down from #1 last month, but still dominating our chart like no other (since 2008 when it first appeared).
As usual, the chart is shot through with long-running ads likely to become classics, including Nova, Tower, AA Life, and Vodafone Piggy Sue.
Top 10 Ads in October 2016
1. Toyota The Real Road Experts, Saatchi & Saatchi, Flux (Laban Dickinson)
2. Spark Spotify Magic Happens Every Day, Colenso BBDO/Proximty NZ, Thick as Thieves
3. Mitre 10 Sandpit, DraftFCB, Exposure (dir Kevin Denholm)
4. Nova Great Value Energy, Clemenger BBDO, Curious (dir Ric Cantor)
5. KiwiRail Take a Break, Clemenger BBDO (camera Dan Monaghan)
6. AA Life Yellow Sheep, Rainger & Rolfe, Film Construction (Perry Bradley)
7. Tower Insurance Indestructables, Barnes Catmur & Friends, Finch (Alyssa McClellan)
8. Vodafone Piggy Sue, FCB, Revolver (Steve Rogers)
9. Specsavers Postman Pat, MediaCom (shot offshore – producer not known)
10. NZ Transport Agency Thoughts, Clemenger BBDO (Ruskin Films (Nathan Price)
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
1. Toyota: The Real Road Experts
- They are extremely amusing and clever
- They’re different and keep changing. It’s not the same ad every time
- I like it because it is funny
- I rather enjoy the little animals – and they are so silly
2. Spark Spotify Magic Happens Every Day
- Cute ad.
- Think it is realistic and heart-warming
- I like it because it shows true New Zealand sprit
- It’s got good humour and music and a proper theme/story
3. Mitre 10 Sandpit
- Such a good ad and always makes me laugh and rewind it at least once.
- Old but still my favourite
- Very well done
- The humour in the ad is what gets my attention.
- No matter how many times you see it, I still smile and think that it is very cute
- The kids are so good and the punchline makes it so endearing
- It has humour, no foul or sexually implied messages.
The TV Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (www.colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD. Anybody may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD/Colmar Brunton credit.
Colmar Brunton completed 1000 interviews online from Wednesday 14 September to Monday 19 September for this report. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys points. The interviewees were all aged 18+ and the margin of error is +/- 2.6%.
To see M+AD’s full back catalogue of Top 10 charts, go to the home page of this site, click on Top10 in the menu.