Compiled for M+AD by Colmar Brunton client executive Andy Strain: In most cases an ad on TV will last a season or two before vanishing in the consumer’s subconscious or often forgotten forever. Well, not the case for our number one pick this month.
After being on the air for almost 10 years, Mitre 10 Sandpit ad takes the No 1 spot for September. The humorous appeal in children acting like adults mixed with some witty NZ vs Aussie banter has made this an all-time New Zealand favourite and still enjoyed to this day.
This was closely followed by Spark’s Little can be huge which tugs on the heartstrings of the viewers giving a different perspective into other family households. And Steven Hansen’s acting debut in the Arnotts Apocalpse may be Oscar-worthy – coming in at third for this month.
Top 10 Ads in September 2017
1. Mitre 10 Sandpit, DraftFCB, Exposure (Kevin Denholm)
2. Spark Little can be Huge, Colenso BBDO, Finch
3. Arnotts Apocalypse Steven Hansen, Y&R, Curious (Zoe Bell)
4. Vogel’s We are all Vogel’s, Shine, Curious (Oliver Green)
5. KiwiRail Scenic Journeys, Clemenger/Touchcast Wellington
6. Toyota The Real Road Experts, Saatchi & Saatchi, Flux
7. KFC Life’s Better/Finger Lickin’ Good, O&M, Scoundrel (Peter Carstairs)
8. Pak’nSave Stickman, FCB, Waxeye
9. Specsavers Wedding, produced in-house in Sweden (director Mats Stenberg). NZ PR from Mango
10. Pedigree Dentastix: Feed the Good-Messy Baby, Colenso BBDO, Finch
IN THEIR OWN WORDS
1. Mitre 10 Sandpit
- “It’s a classic! I saw it the other night and still love it!”
- “Like the humour, and use of child actors to play adult parts.”
- “Love the NZ and Aussie banter.”
- “The children imitating adults in conversation and their body language.”
2. Spark Little can be Huge
- “It is very moving.”
- “Thoughtful and makes you think that everyone’s circumstances are different.”
- “Very heartwarming.”
- “With a son that celebrates his single Mum for father’s day, relates to my upbringing.”
3. Arnotts Apocalpse Steven Hansen
- “Funny to see the All Blacks coach promoting biscuits.”
- “The humour makes it very interesting to watch.”
- “They are different, quirky funny, very Kiwi & don’t feel like ads at all.”
HOW THIS CHART WAS PRODUCED
The TV Top 10 is produced by Colmar Brunton (www.colmarbrunton.co.nz) exclusively for M+AD. Readers may reproduce all or parts of it without authorisation – but we do ask for a M+AD/Colmar Brunton credit.
Colmar Brunton completed 1000 interviews online over a period of one week (from Wednesday 30 August to Wednesday 6 September) for this report. Respondents were incentivised with Fly Buys points. The interviewees were all aged 18+ and the margin of error is +/- 2.6%.
To view all the M+AD/Colmar Brunton Top 10 charts for the past 12 months, click the Top10 button in the menu on the home page at www.mad-daily.com.